Sunday, February 9, 2014

Twister Christmas Tree

In one of many visits to the quilt shop over the holidays, I saw a pattern for a Christmas Tree wall hanging using the Itty Bitty twister tool. After seeing it, I decided to switch gears from quilts to smaller projects.
I started out with several squares...
...and arranged them into a tree pattern.
I sewed them all together and then put on a border. This was the easy part. 
Then it was time to actually use the twister tool. Out of that quilt, you cut new blocks with the twister tool using the intersection of each square. Those first few cuts were quite nerve-racking. But after a couple of rows, it wasn't so bad.
Each block was cut at an angle and then "twisted" straight...
...and sewn back together. As I got about halfway, I really wasn't sure I liked this project because you had to sew everything together twice. And those second pieces are teeny, tiny.
But once I had it all pieced back together, I loved it. I knew I'd be making more than this single pattern. I already have something else started, but you'll have to wait for another post to see that one. :-)
 
This is a shot of the back so you can see all of the seams I had to work with. Except for the initial squares, I pressed the seams open to reduce bulk.
I used red fabric for the backing and put a sleeve for hanging on as well. I also did two rows of top stitching in the border.
I guess I forgot to take any pictures of putting the binding and backing on.
The completed project. I love it and can't wait to finish the next one.

Linked up with Fabric Frenzy Friday and Quilt Story.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I don't understand at all how you did that but it sure turned out pretty!! Looks like a lot of work!

Lindsey said...

Hi Lynn! Your tree quilt turned out lovely! I have yet try the twister tool--but have wanted to because it is so cool! Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday